RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 PM
devens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

good to be aboard!

BTW I should introduce myself. My name is Daren Evens, obviously I live in South Dakota..not the best place for flying days per year unless you have a real strong kite! But we do get a few. I am 40 yrs old and work as a Mechanical Engineer in the Consulting Industry. I was born in Champaign, Illinois and graduated from Southern Illinois University. My grand parents built a house and lived in it for 50 years or so that is about 1 block east of Great Planes shop. I grew up around models and RC as my family is very crafty and my uncle used to own an RC store down town Champaign back in about 1975ish. I took a ~12 yr break from the hobby to develope my carreer and have been back in RC for just over a yr now. Of course I jumped in with both feet and already have a nice fleet of planes and heli's. Over the past year I have been learning 3D (not around back then), learned to fly heli's (thanks Real Flight! own a Titan, Mini Titan, and an Axe CP that I converted the electronics on) and am about 75% done with a TF GS Corsair that I am adding plenty of scale detail too (it will be a thats cool scale plane for obvious reasons but it is plane #510 from the VFW 312). This will be the second bipe in my fleet as I have a Super Skybolt that I rip up the sky with. I do not fly real birds although many of my family members have been or are licensed. I wish it were more economical to learn and fly nowadays but oh well. Trust me I would love too learn!!!

well enough about me back to the Waco!!!

I admit I haven't done much model number or history research yet I picked a plane that looked good. That crimson and cream is really pretty! Thanks for the info Skylark. New Airplane site ummmmmm (Homer Simpson voice). I am not sure how much scale I am going to get into....I know some of you are cringing.... but knowing me I will try to build a Top Gun model....emphasis on TRY. How areobatic were or are the WACO's? I am showing my rookie status but like I said haven't done my reading up YET. Are some more Aerobatic than others? I assumed they could perform mild aerobatics. I guess the trainer status of the model I posted has me hung-up. Who wants a trainer . Also how good are Ikons kits in scale, buildability, and of couse what we all intend to do with these rascals flight? From the site they look like really good kits.

well enough for now

Daren