RCU Forums - View Single Post - I wish AMA's MA magazine would.....
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
TxDiveBomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I wish AMA's MA magazine would.....

First off thank you all for your input and my apologies for not responding faster. Instead of doing a post to answer each question or comment put to me I’ll just answer them all in this post. Starting with the last post first.

Mode One,

I have been mostly an arf person that wants to be a true builder. I ONLY went the arf route because I feel I lack the confidence and know-how to build a model to the standards I feel it should be build to. That however is changing this winter I have my first scratch build. I’ve reached the point that even if it isn’t air worthy I just don’t care I’ll build two or three or fifty if that’s what it takes for me to make one that is. I’m not afraid of failing I’m actually afraid of pestering my club members to death. Granted they are a great bunch of guys I just don’t want to become nuisance with all my questions. Right now I would consider myself a sponge that’s just trying to soak up as much as I can about building.

Montague,

I wasn’t really thinking of a build-along series I was thinking of more in-depth of the models that MA does scratch or from kits. I thought well if it’s to much space for a single issue then spread it out over two issues or maybe three max. I don’t want those who enjoy other aspects of this hobby to get short changed at my expense.

I have yet to try RC Report, Fine Scale Modeler and Model Builder. As a matter of fact I haven’t even herd of RC Report until today. I’m going to have to check those out. Currently I subscribe to Fly RC, MAN and get MA. Both Fly RC and MAN do provide some building info however they mostly concentrate on arf and electrics in my opinion.

Rcmiket,

I feel pigeon holed into arfs and electrics because that’s what every magazine I pick up chalked full of. Almost every review is about either of those don’t see many reviews about kits or scratch plans in the magazines I knew about.

You said “MA is not the place to look for any really useful information”

It should be. After all it’s supposed to promote the hobby. In my mind promoting the hobby would include passing on learned building techniques that are essential to keeping the hobby alive and well. Don’t building techniques span across all forms of airplane modeling? Even arf fliers have to learn how to make proper repairs.

Red S,

I wasn’t aware I could get the MA archives online. I will definitely check those out. I did check out Masportaviator it’s geared towards arfs and new fliers. I’m not new to flying I’m new to building.

Red said “The old guys probably feel they would be pushing it to have the same article every 2 or 3 years”

I do apologize if I offended anyone by making age references of AMA members. However it’s really the truth MOST of YOU guys that know all the ends and outs of building are old enough to be my father or grandfather. It’s not an insult or age jab it’s just the way it appears to be to me. So I could see that an article about something that you learned 10, 20, 30+ years ago coming up every 2 or 3 years would be old news to you but there are people “like me” to whom it would not be. The archives will definetly help.

KidEpoxy,

I agree with you about MA trying to slice the pie amongst many different aspects of this hobby. Maybe I’m asking for to much.

One last question I’d like to ask everyone. Why is it that these magazines always go to these huge fly in’s take a ton of pictures, do a four to six plus page spread on these beautiful models that are mostly kit or scratch built, but do very little to help us learn to build them. Why are these the models they know their readers want to see yet everything else in there magazine is arf arf arf. I don’t think the spirit of kit/scratch building is dying I just think it doesn’t pay as well as arf adds or the 10 millionth review of the same arf model that’s just a slightly different size with a different mfg err future advertiser.