RCU Forums - View Single Post - prop spinning too fast?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 10:43 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prop spinning too fast?

FF:

In my much younger days I recall the worlds best engineers claiming that a dragster could never exceed 170 mph, or a number around this one, due to the maximum friction available at the surface. Now, they are actually well over 300 mph, close or in excesss of twice the maximum design speeds. I recall seeing a claimed 34,000 rpm out of the new nelsons, so use that as a good number. The real question here IMHO is, does the prop quit pulling once the speed of sound starts to move down the prop as the rpm's increase. Sort of asking, does a airplane quit flying over the speed of sound? My best answer here is: t If the speed could be increased by increased pitch, they would be doing it in the real world. I'm not throwing rocks at you as I enjoy the thinking and questioning mind, even though mine quit several years ago. Oh yea, if you assume a "stock Jett" will only turn 18,000, wrong wrong, wrong. The Jett 35, 40, 50, and 60LX all turn over that and they are sport engines. Don't know for sure that the Jett raceing 40's are fully up to par with the Nelsons right now, but if not, they will be shortly. Years past, the Jetts turned "fastest times" many times, even though the pilot did not win the race. Must be hard to accept to have the fastest plane out there and get your clock cleaned by some old tretcherous man called Fred Burgdorf. Comment made with respect and affection for Fred. ENJOY