RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maybe Fast Scat Cat/Jett
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maybe Fast Scat Cat/Jett

ORIGINAL: Barticusmax

OK, so I thought I'd start a thread for my current project rather than "Take Over" another's work.
I have always liked faster planes. Now, lets be clear, I am no racer. I have a strong background in "Sport" and 3D, and know the usual engines and radios fairly well, but some of these racing engines are obviously quite different! Many thanks already due to Bob27 for tons of helpful advice!

Ok, down to the Nitty-Gritty. I am building Scat Cat number 5. the other 4 were all excellent planes, often much better than I was, hence the number of reps!
The smoothest flier had a Max 28 and was quite docile everywhere except straight down, then it really scooted. The rest have all had .40 engines, the best probably being a KB with Perry carb.
With the exception of "Real" racers which I have yet to encounter in any of the 6 clubs I have joined, the cats tend to be among the fastest planes I have seen, hence my choice for my next "Stupid Fast" plane. 3D is great, training others is wonderful, but I am due for some adrenaline these days!
So, I happened upon a Jett QM.40. In 30+ years of flying I have never had a Jett, or a Nelson to call my own. So this opportunity was just the ticket. Well, once it arrived, you can imagine my surprise to discover NO CARBURETOR!! Ok, it's like the control line engines, all or nothing!
Well with some kindly advice (Thanks again, Bob) I ordered a carb, and a prop.
OK, so wayy too much power is now available, so I have reinforced the wing with a carbon fiber spar, and CF strips on top and bottom of the wing. I have also CF'ed the inside of the front end and the wing box.
CG is going to be an issue, so the battery and 3 servos will be in the tail, rather than in the wing box.
Some more CF around the center of the wing, and it will be ready to cover. The aileron servo will be as far aft on the wing as practical, again working toward correct CG with minimal added weight. I figure completion of the wing will help finalize the locating of the equipment in the tail. More to follow!!!
Ok:

You may have the best of both worlds here, looks like a sport jett, but gonna have more rpm. Actually the black pipe is the tipoff, but still available for the sports engines if you need a little more. I have only been around one Q-500 type Jett with a carb added as a cheater attempt. Was more rpm than a L/x motor and seemed to idle and transition pretty good, not quite as good as the sports version, but still good. After a few flights and you get your heart running again, get some altitude and come back a little past 1/2 throttle. If its running clean and well, you are running on the idle circut of the carb for the most part. You should be able to slow it down without risking a flame out. Yes, sort of a dirty trick, but loads of fun for you. Keep it at a reasonable speed, less than 1/2 throttle and encourage the guys to come up and play. Only add throttle as need and you can get away with this for quite a while. Am I that rotten? Well, some of us prefer to call it old and tretcherous, but the same thing.

Would like to see that elevator noodle control rod replaced with a Carbon Fiber unit. ENJOY