RCU Forums - View Single Post - From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:14 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?

My first was a free flight Guillows Piper Cherokee with a Cox .020 pee wee.. That lasted about 30 seconds or so.

What it did do was introduce me to my neighbor Harland Carlson.
I used to hang out in his garage while he built his planes and told storied about him time in WWII or working as a lineman.
One day he sent me home with a set of plans for a Sterling fledgling, a finished wing and an OS Max-S 35 motor.

That was the plane that got me started in RC. It survived well past my solo.. Later we put an OS FS-40 4 stroke on it..
That motor is on my step sons Eagle today. I flew it with a Futaba 4ch FG gold box.

My 2nd was a Falcon 56 with a OS .45 FSR.. It died an untimely death in a rather fast vertical fashion about 6 months later.
I had a Futaba 7ch FG gold box for that one.

The Fledgling made it about 2 years but an in flight failure of the wing mounting block (fuel soaked glue joint failed) left it a lawn dart without a wing.

I still have the Fledgling wing, plans and the OS .35. I'd hoped someday I could pass it on but I'm afraid Arf's may have spoiled that dream.

The Futaba's are still here too but I get funny looks at the field when I fly with them so I keep them around for slope gliders.

As for the Pics..

Me with the Fledgling and Falcon in 1985.. OK the planes are not vintage but the design is.
My Instructor Lynn Cook and I in 85.. No buddy box so it's sometime after I soloed
Last pic, the Fledgling on Takeoff..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41453.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	817015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75544.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	817016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55871.jpg
Views:	373