RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Sig Something Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

Alex and Dave,
I have the same concerns as you regarding removing some of the ply from the root ribs. But if you noticed the markings on the photos above, I have allowed a lot of "meat" to remain adjacent to the high stress areas. Also rather than using monocoat or plastic covering I am going with a fully sheathed wing covered in carbon fiber veil (tissue .02 oz./sq. yd. ) and am looking at that to form a stressed skin to add overall strength to the build. Now you mentioned the area adjacent to the wing tube I have a question about this I did not note any mention about filling the area between the wing tube and spar with shear web or balsa. I would think that you would want to tie the spar as directly as possible to the wing tube possible. I intend to fill this area with webbing anyhow to maximize the bond of the spar to the wing tube. Another critical area you mentioned is the dowel socket, where I am going to use fairings or fillets between the wing and fuselage, the load on this dowel should be reduced by a large percentage (I hope). One other change I am making to the wing is to sub. a 1/4 X 3/8" rear spar/Aileron mount notched to go around the rear of the ribs, instead of the 1/4 X 1/4 butt joined spar/aileron mount called for in the plan.

Now off to the shop to do some actual work...