RCU Forums - View Single Post - THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF

Another thing to think about, when comparing one RTF to another is whether it is easy to upgrade the plane.

For example, can you switch from NiMh to Lipos?
What if you want to change the motor?

How reusable are the electroncis?

Can I move the receiver, servos, ESC to another plane?
Does this use standard parts or a single integrated electroncis package?

Of course all of this comes with the question of, do you really care? Should you care?

My first Plane was an Aerobird. It used a 27 MHz radio with an integrated electronics package. While I could have moved it to another V tail or elevon plane, it really was not intended for this. But I did not care. It was low cost and rugged. It was my way of discovering if I was going to like this RC flying thing.

5 years later I have multiple computer radios, 24 planes and the old Aerobird doesn't get flown that much anymore, but it still works and I can still use it. I got plenty of value out of it.

However, this is still a point of evaluation:

Easy Star - $180
Super cub - $160

Both are top rated self trainer planes.

Easy Star uses standard 72 MHz radio, receiver, ESC and servos.

Super Sub uses 27 MHz radio system which is really intended for this plane alone.

Does that make the Super Cub a bad choice? Absolutely not! It is one of the best first planes on the market. And HobbyZone provide options, like a parachute drop, for the plane that is not available with other radio systems. Cool?

The Aerobird 3 is another very popular first plane. All 27 MHz with propriatary electroncis package. Has lead to many successful pilots. And, at $110 it is a super bargain. So should you care if the parts can't easily move to another plane? I don't think so.n If you wanted to take the Aerobird Brushless, you would have to replace all the electroncis. Some would say that is bad. I would say, why take the AB3 brushless at all. Invest that equipment and new radio in a new plane and now you have two planes to fly.

On the other hand, it would be easy with an Easy Star. Replace the motor and the ESC and you are good to go! But the Easy Star costs more too.

People will raise these points with you, as a new pilot. You will have to decide for yourself. But I bring them up here for your consideration.

Any questions? Comments? Counter points?