View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Close look at GP .07 Thunder Tiger

ORIGINAL: GrahamC

ORIGINAL: 1705493-AndyW

I've been told by Great Hobbies that the GP .07 is discontinued and parts will be in short supply down the road. I have a couple of rods on the way to see if they can be adapted to the Norvel .074

Another one bites the dust.

Kind of sad actually even though this one is not that great. Did they actually have the rods in stock or did they have to order them? If they will be a good or even very close substitute I will have to get a couple. A button for turbo plugs would be dead easy to make.

If the TT GP-07 is discontinued I think I will stay away from it then. I was considering playing around with them only because they were available.

There seem to be few choices in 07 or .95CC size engines for the car crowd. Here is one marketed by Trinity:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMYK5

And Trinity is not the only one with these size of engines. I have stumbled across at least a half dozen different brands / sources / manufacturers. They all look pretty much the same and all originate from the far east. Many familiar names too, Ofna/Picco, Toki, SC etc. I should have kept the links to the many web sites I stumbled over, I guess I will have to go looking again.

I am still a bit confused when looking at some of these engines however. I though .061 was 1CC not .07 = .95CC - Depends I suppose whether you use the new Metric Math or old Imperial Math

Looks more like a traditional model engine than the GP-07. I couldn't find bore/stroke/weight info but I am sure it is much heavier than the Norvel 074. Twin ball race however. The car guys are a little less concerned about the weight and they also want the power to peak much higher up in RPM.

Now, the Trinity 095 is about the same price as the TT GP-07, and would need more mods to convert to plane use. I wonder how much weight could be removed by removing all of the extraneous mounting points etc. And for that matter, what about replacement parts - rod piston etc Would they be a suitable replacement for aging Norvel 074 engines?

cheers, Graham

I, too, am a little interested in the small Trinity, but the info in the Tower ad is really confusing. No bore, no stroke, "bore size" given as a cubic measurement, & contradictory cc-to-cu in info. Other sites on the web list the same generic confusing information. Anybody have any real info as to what size & weight this engine really is? Anybody try to convert to aircraft use? ................. George K.