RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ripmax Alienator What do you all think?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 01:30 AM
RCAdd1ct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripmax Alienator What do you all think?

It flew about like my first one....Great.

It takes a while to get accustomed to the odd shape in the sky.

It is black on the bottom and yellow on top. The center and verticals are black on top for contrast. The LE and wing tip bottom are fluorescent orange. It is covered in econocote. Not sure what the fluorescent is. It looks like I couldn't get it hot enough. If I used a hotter iron it might stick better but it might melt the foam. The yellow and black econocote stick at low temp without any issues.

You don't need an extra spar. I capped the TE with triangle stock and added CF tape to the top and bottom of the wing. The plane is very light but very solid. I used pro-bond for all major construction points and it is holding up well.

I added more aileron and rudder. I should have added more elevator, too. I don't have enough elevator to get it to flat spin.

I mounted the LG under the canards. It is about 1.5" in front of CG. There is a lite ply frame that glues to the foam body to connect the spar to the firewall. I added a heavy ply reinforcement on the floor and cut the foam out for the main gear. I then shaved the cut out piece the thickness of the LG and stuck in back on and covered the cut out. The econocote is holding the LG cut out piece on there. I used an old magic tail skid for the tail drag piece. I cut a 1/2" dowel down and epoxied the dowel and skid in. I used econocote to keep the skid from swiveling. Steerable tail gear would be a nice plus but I was trying to keep this one cheap so I could beat on it with very little out of pocket.

There is a 5 cell 1100 NiMh RX pack buried in the foam to get the CG right. It is still a little nose heavy.

Pull-pull rudder would be a nice addition, also.

Originally posted by SAPropbuster
RCAdd1ct...............
SO, tell us all......how did your new Alienator fly??
Adding full span ailerons sounds like a good idea, the extra spar would help with the .42!
Where did you lay the CF? On the wings?? Bottom & Top???
How did you mount LG?
You say you covered it? What with?

Might want to remind anyone in and around San Antonio, Texas, that the San Antonio Prop Busters is having PopGun 2003... Any .25 ~ 2 stroke, .30 ~ 4 stroke or equal electric (or smaller) are welcome to come fly...Check out the event calendar here, on the AMA website or the D-8 website... Lots of cool prizes, good food and fun!