RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flying at the AMA Muncie site.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flying at the AMA Muncie site.

ORIGINAL: Kule Kanain

Living less than five hours away and being a competition pilot, I have flown at the national site many times. The folks at the HQ and the museum have always been extremely friendly and helpful. I have met AMA members with single and low double digit AMA numbers all the way to young kids giving RC or FF a try for the first time. We have camped out and flown to sundown on numerous occassions and have never been mistreated in any way. My girlfriend and I like to camp out at the primitive camp site while at Muncie for the Nats and we take the telescope to stargaze after the sun goes down. The site always opens up the showers and bathrooms behind the museum for us - so its not so primitive. After the stress of competition flights all day, its nice to relax in a quiet setting with no TV or phones or hordes of people around. On the way home from the 2005 Scale Aerobatic Nats, my girlfriend realized that she left a set of clothes and personal items behind at the showers. We called and the folks from AMA boxed up her stuff and mailed it out to us the same day - NO CHARGE (for those that thing AMA is all about money).

Tim - I am glad you got things sorted out and hope you take the time to go fly there again someday. Unfortunately, you will also find that many of the nay-sayers or profits of doom and gloom have never even been there!
And now you can get that benefit for half the price! Hey maybe it's worth signing up for the e-ticket if your an RV or small aircraft owner. For $29 you get a campsite and shower for the nite located right near the populous center of America. Does anyone know if there is a light airport witin walking distance? I've been there by car but never by small aircraft.