RCU Forums - View Single Post - ModelTech Great Lakes Setup
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
squatty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ModelTech Great Lakes Setup

Hate to say it but all the bad comments about the Model Tech Great Lakes Bipe is true. I built my Bipe about fifteen years ago. I spent the better part of the winter finishing the plane out and covering and painting it to match the the picture on the box and all of the adds in the magazines exactly. If looks could fly my plane would be on the moon right now, unfortunately that wasnt the case. I had installed OS's hot 46SF-P and found the plane to be extremely tail heavy so after getting the largest brass prop nut offered and about 500 melted down lead sinkers custom cast to blend with the engine I had a very heavy somewhat tail heavy plane. I figured surey it would fly like a breeze and besides I had many hours under my belt and years of flying so figured how bad could it be. Well, the first day I line it up on the runway and slowly increased speed; when it reached take-off speed it darted right or left but whose to say which way. After several attemps and a couple broken props I called it a day and headed home. The second attempt I was determined to get it up and after a couple of its wacky characteristic jumps to the right or left I let anger get the best of me and went full steam ahead and leaped the flying rock into the air. Well that was the first and last time I had any control what so ever of the plane and after a few seconds of trying to get it under control it smashed the ground doing very little damage; but hey you cant hurt a flying lead ball. Neadless to say my plane now hangs in my shop for decoration and many people have been awed by it flashing good lucks and sad as it may be I had the beauty sold until my buyer read this site so now I still have a good looking fairly expense shop ornament.