RCU Forums - View Single Post - Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 AM
JMcDonald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.

Ive got an old Nitro Rustler with several mods (a good 7 years old or so) and a GS Storm (about 4 years old). I am letting my long-time best friend / roommate drive the Rustler for now, and having been spoiled by the overall better performance of the Storm, I dont really want to go back to an ST, especially a 2WD one. I want to replace my Storm soon simply because I know Ill probably break something on it soon, and I wont have access to replacement parts (the LHS doesnt even carry GS stuff anymore). The OFNA buggies seem to be pretty popular, and being that I am just getting back into this and am trying to pace myself, the lower cost of their basic models is attractive. However, at least is the case with my LHS, support for the OFNA buggies is limited. It seems they carry mostly Traxxas and HPI stuff, with Losi coming in third, so that pretty much eliminates 1/8 scale buggies, at least within a reasonable price range.

Here is what I liked about my Storm:

1) Compact suspension made it quite durable for bashing (a theory for which I have found support here).
2) I like the overall look and layout of buggies, and always have, even since I got my first ERustler at age 9 .
3) 4WD really spoiled me for bashing, heh.
4) Relatively easy to be competitive at local tracks.

I *like* the idea of racing, although in all honesty, in the few years of driving the Rustler, I only raced it a few times at a real track (I.E. not the parking lot in from of my LHS), and it was always for fun, and I never really expected much out of it. I dont think I ever even got around to Racing the storm, heh. So really, for the most part I like bashing (specifically big jumps), with the possibility of being mildly competitive if I try to race every once in a while.

Id say that at my "RC Peak," both my driving skill and mechanical ability / understanding were about 7-8 out of 10. I started with the aforementioned Electric Rustler (RTR), then after a few years upgraded to a Bandit (KIT) (basically the same car, just liked the look better and wanted a change). Then I had the Nitro rustler (RTR) for a few years, sold it and bought an XXX-NT (RTR). That fell out of the back of our truck on the highway a few months later, and it eventually got replaced with the Storm (RTR), which was used for about a year before I put it all away and got into real cars. However, I dont have the time or money (or the desire to change that) anymore to maintain a hobby car, so here I am. With that said, if I buy something new, I will probably be buying a kit (I already have an XR3 Synthesized radio, and could steal the high-torque servos and receiver off the Storm). Otherwise, Id probably look for a used car or a new/used rolling chassis on ebay. Doesnt matter too much if it comes with an engine or not. FYI: Right now I am in school studying medicine, so Id like something that doesnt have to be modded and fixed all the time, as I dont know how much free time Ill have in the first place, and would not want to spend it all at the bench.

Here are the main options I am looking at:

HPI Savage (not sure which model, I guess whichever one is available now):
Pros:
-Seems to be a really tough truck for bashing.
-Good support.
-Almost guaranteed a racing class.

Cons:
-Seems difficult to be competitive in racing (not a huge deal, but at least Id like to avoid getting laughed off the track).
-More expensive.
-More complexity with the 2-speed transmission. It has been mostly recommended that 2-speeds arent very good for offroad cars anyways, but maybe they've gotten better.

HPI MT2 Truck:
Pros:
-It should have the more "light and nimble" feel of the buggy.
-Cheapest Option.

Cons:
-From my reading, it doesnt seem to be as tough as your average 1/8 buggy or monster truck.
-Might not have as much support.
-Probably wont be allowed to race at any of the local tracks (they take their racing pretty seriously it seems) due to being 4WD.

Traxxas Tmaxx:
Pros:
-Better Handling than the savage.
-Probably the best support of any of the options.

Cons:
-Apparently needs lots (or, at least, more) of mods to be a real strong basher.
-Most complexity with 2-speed trans with reverse.

Losi 8ight:
Pros:
-From what I read, it is a real nice vehicle. I assumed that anyways, though, from my experience with the XXX-NT.
-Whether I got the Truggy or Buggy version, a racing class is almost guaranteed due to the increasing popularity of the Truggy.
-Simpler and more predictable single-speed transmission.

Cons:
-Obviously, cost. However, it seems popular enough and / or old enough that they seem consistantly available on ebay for reasonable prices.
-Probably not as tough as the savage, especially in Truggy form.

HPI Hellfire:
Pros:
-Probably a nice truck, although I actually just found it while typing this post, so I dont really know anything about it yet, heh.
-Again, like the 8eight, almost guaranteed a racing class.
-Single-speed transmission.

Cons:
-Maybe less support from the LHS.
-Pretty far out my budget for now. Threw it in there because its HPI. However, unlike the 8ight, it seems too new (or not popular enough) to find them used on ebay, so I wouldnt be able to catch a break there.
-Maybe not as tough as the Savage which, in this list, seems to be the vehicle to beat as far as durability goes.

My first choices would be the Savage or the 8ight buggy. The savage for its durability and aptitude for bashing, and the 8ight for its better race-readiness (and because it can be found used for compariable prices).

The MT2 seems like it would be a fun all-around basher, and has the advantage of being cheaper by a good margin, but would probably not be a choice. It probably cant stand up to the 1/8 scale stuff in harsher environments (maybe a buggy, but not the trucks), and also can't be raced. Probably wont get into the TMaxx, as its handling benefits over the Savage dont, to me, outweigh its lower durability and simplicity. If I really wanted an MT that handled well it seems like a Revo would be a better choice. The Hellfire really is just something I threw out there, and is probably not something Id get even in a future in which I was in the market for something like that (unless it turned out to actually be better than the other ~$600 truggies).

And, really, it doesnt HAVE to be supported at my LHS. Obviously, chances are that even with the most well-supported vehicle, Id still sometimes break parts that the LHS doesnt carry and end up having to order it anyways. So, if there is some other perfect vehicle for me (preferably 1/8 buggies) that has good parts support from a reliable online store, then by all means please share!

Sorry for the long-winded post. Is there anything you guys can add that could help my choice?

Thanks!