RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 PM
JimoCooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

Yeah, in fact, I would have put triangle stock on mine, had I had some in my field box. I had intended to go ahead and fair it in like a triangle later, but I ended up crashing the Corsair before I did...was having too much fun flying it.

I would suggest about 1 1/2 inch triangle stock stall strip. You can always trim a little off either end and touch up the paint. I only trimmed a quarter inch off mine. Thing is... your plane may be slightly different....maybe I had a little more of a warp in one wing...so it's just a matter of testing your plane in its stall regime.

On my first few flights of a new plane...even of a type I've owned before, I always take it up and slow fly it. I get it up there first, mind you...I don't dilly-dally near the ground, but get it up there a few mistakes high. I like to fly them gear down, flaps down (when present) and slow...to get a feel for the mushiness. That's the area you're going to get your wing stall...left or right. Hopefully, with that stall strip on the right wing, you may just have a baby. Maybe it will slightly drop a right wing...(cut a quarter inch off). Maybe it will still stall on the left marginally (glue another quarter inch of triangle..fill and sand later).

Just expirament with it...and I would be delighted to know how your flights go.

By the way...that Kyosho that I sent a picture of...well, I flew it twice before deciding to take it apart...(I bought it from somebody, and it was kind of a mess, though I have redone much). When I flew it, It had no left or right wing drop at the stall...no flaps on it either. I didn't add a stall strip (though that would look scale)...and I managed some amazing spins...AND recovered even!!!

Of note, the real corsair was prohibited from intentional spins. After 6 turns, the airplane was unrecoverable. In the test flying program, they had drogue chutes they could deploy for spin recovery..and only after deploying them could they come out of the spin.

Jim