RCU Forums - View Single Post - Finished First Speed Project
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
KCJarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished First Speed Project

Hello y'all.

I just finished my first speed project. It is a global Tequila Sunrise. My uncle gave me an old O.S. S-30 last week and I cant have an engine without a home.

I've been in the hobby for many years now, but this is my first venture into speed. I have been an aerobatic guy for a while now, but my Extra doesn't cut if for a fast mover. Since my uncle gave me the engine I figured this was my best option for a move into speed. I thought about a shrike for the .30 but decided against it.

I have heard all the negatives about this plane, and I have made it as light as possible. I just finished it up tonight, and it is coming in at 2lbs 13oz. ready to fly. I have also set the CG at 1 3/4 in. instead of the 2 1/4 as stated in the plans after reading that the recomended CG is to far aft. I have also set my high rates at the recommended low rates and then dialed 60% of that for the lows.

I am currently swinging a 9x6 apc with this little motor and It measured 3lbs of static thrust today. That's a little over 1/1 thrust to weight. Is this a good starting point or should I go with a 10x4?

I know it's not the fastes guy on the block, but I needed something to keep up with the buddy's quicky 500. Will this do it???

Let me know what you all think and thank you for the reply's.