RCU Forums - View Single Post - Patriot servos
Thread: Patriot servos
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2003, 06:13 PM
AQ500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot servos

I had to think about this one. I think this is an interesting topic (which is a little off the topic)

If the plane is falling at a 90 degree angle downward, the component of the wind will already be part of his velocity. The plane will not fly vertically down even though the nose is pointed straight down. The airplane doesn't know there is any wind.

Imagine dropping a rock in a river from a raft. The rock will descend straight down with respect to the velocity of the water. Now if the rock decides to move horizontally at a given velocity, it will have the same speed in any direction with reference to the water. An observer from the shore would see it entirely different.

The wind gets too much blame for airplanes crashing. The plane is basically flying in a river of wind and will not feel it. The only time it will feel the wind is if it is gusty and the velocity of the wind is rapidly changing.

I found a nifty torque calculator. At 150 mph the ailerons need their own servos. All of the other surfaces come out fine.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_servo.htm