RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sell me a 12fg/12z/or 14mz
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell me a 12fg/12z/or 14mz

OK radio gurus, here is the story.

I currently fly with a couple Hitec radios that are now about 15 years old. Its time to update to some modern programming features and 2.4! Hitec has pretty much decided to keep quiet about anything they have coming out, so I have been looking around.

I am considering the Royal evo with the xtremlink aftermarket setup, but I am undecided on that.

My other choice(s) has been narrowed to the Futaba lineup. One of the things I like about their set up is the removable data card setup...so easy yet they seem to be the only ones doing it. I also think the true frequency hopping set up seems more robust (yeah, I know about the FUBAR with the 6 & 7 channel systems) in the long run than the other systems.

Basically I know nothing about these three systems other than what I have been reading on RCU. In what I have read so far, it seems that 12Z is preferred to the 12fg.

What I am looking for is people's input on which of the three systems is the best or the best bang for the buck, either one. I would love to have the 14mz, cause more channels is always good for scale planes, and the easily removable switches like the old Multiplex had is good also, but...an extra $K for 2 more channels seems pretty dang steep unless other features justify it.

So tell me why I should get whichever of the three systems, the good the bad the ugly...is the 14mz worth it etc...but no brand wars please. I'd like to use this thread as head to head comparison of the three.

As always, thanks for the help!