RCU Forums - View Single Post - Magnetic building system
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
housedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnetic building system

Here is an update on the table.

The 22 gauge steel held the magnets pretty well, but I found out it was not real stable. It developed a wave in it that I could not get out. Bummer after all the work prepping and painting it.

Anyway, I went back to the metal supplier and had them shear a piece of 16 gauge 400 series magnetic stainless steel. Cost was $115.00 for the entire 4 X 8 sheet and shearing. The stuff is MUCH cheaper than other grades of stainless (since it does not contain nickle). The others run around $300 for a 4 X 8 sheet. I took it home and deburred the edges with a smooth file, and left the corners 90 degrees.

It is working out real well. Narry a wave to be found. The magnets hold well enough. I used a trigger scale on a magnet and tried it on the stainless and the mild steel, and got a couple of grams more hold on the stainless.

I have found the steel weighs close to 40 lbs, but that is still within the area of me being able to lift without strain. I just use work gloves to protect the hands.

The only problem is keeping brushed stainless clean looking. I feel like I have a Delorean to clean. I will be using plan saver plastic on it. Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48741.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	868384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55352.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	868385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64549.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	93.5 KB