RCU Forums - View Single Post - Patriot Flaps
Thread: Patriot Flaps
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2003, 03:20 AM
rpz-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot Flaps

The airfoil of the patriot is designed for higher speed - putting flaperons on it will, as indicated earlier up, WILL tip-stall this airplane during slow flight... Ask me how I know. The inboard flaps with outboard ailerons is definitely the way to go. The split flaps, although simple to build (relatively), create more drag than they do low-speed lift. SO - do you want slow approaches (requiring more lift), or braking action to bring the plane down more quickly?

If you want to generate more lift at low speeds, you should at least look at Fowler flaps. These are used on the Top Flite Gold P-40 Warhawk. The construction manual is downloadable and shows detail on how to build and hinge the flaps properly. On this airplane, because of your speed when retracted, you will want to ensure that the lines are clean and have minimal intrusion on the airflow. Also, don't deploy them at speed, or you'll rip them off the wing!

I also found a really good aid for fine tuning and experimenting with slower approaches - Flight Sims... experimenting is much less costly there... You may even elect to avoid flaps altogether... they ARE more complex and troublesome than wings without... Just my 2cents...