RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba 12FG FASST first impressions
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 PM
rconabudget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 12FG FASST first impressions

I received my 12FG FASST system yesterday after a very long wait. Australia Post managed to loose it along the way! I have not yet had a chance to fly with it as Sunny Sydney has been grey and wet for the last couple of weeks [:@]

Well the first thing that I had to do was change it from Mode 2 to Mode 1. I know that it will need to be recalibrated but I am happy to live with the calibration being out until someone find a way to do it! The change took all of 15 minutes and didn't seem to be a problem.

Now on to actually using the radio to set up my planes. WOW!!!! Quite a change from the 9C I've been using but what an impressive radio!!! Well done Futaba[sm=thumbup.gif]

I tried using some SD cards in it. I had bought a 2Gb card that I decided to use in my camera and to use the 1Gb card from the camera. The radio did not recognise it on power up[&o] I then tried an SD card that came with a Nokia phone. Same problem. Even after reformatting on my PC. As a last resort, I tried the 2Gb card that I had originally bought. It worked fine. It turns out the other 2 are SD Ultra cards where as the one that works is not. Now I have 3870 models available

The first plane that I set up is an electric foamie (an S&B ME263 Komet) with a 607 receiver. This is a delta with no rudder. The only challenge was getting to grips with the change in channel numbering. Once I realized that you can see the assignment in the servo testing screen (and test the movements) it all became easy! The complete setup took me around 30 minutes.

The next plane was an electric Pitts with dual aileron. Took about 30 minutes too. So far I've changed over 3 planes and will continue to do the rest while the rain pours down.

The only negative comments I have are:[ul][*] The change in the plug used for charging the Tx is a pain. I had to make up a fast charge lead using the wire from the supplied charger (I can't use it here as it is a US 110v charger and we use 240v). I also don't believe in using those wall chargers. I only use a good peak detect charger on my radios. Making the fast charge lead only took a few minutes but it was a pain to do before I could use my radio.[*] The manual is really poor. Thanks to intuition and work done on this and other forums I managed to work around it.[*] It would have been better if it had LiPos
[/ul]

Once I've spent more time with the radio, and hopefully gotten to fly with it, I will update this thread.