RCU Forums - View Single Post - WM P-51. To clip or not to clip the wings?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WM P-51. To clip or not to clip the wings?

remenk
I have several OS 55s and Webra 55s and they both have their uses. I run the Webra’s on the faster planes like my viper and Diamond Dust and the Webra would blow the OS away in those planes. In a sport plane like a Tiger II the OS can swing more disc area/pich and it will eat the Webra. The P-51 is not a real clean plane, so again I have to lean toward the OS. Yes you can go with less pitch on the Webra and let it scream but it just doesn’t seem as fast, just sounds faster. Others are reporting great success with the OS 55 and aftermarket exhaust on WM P-51s turning an APC 11X9 sport prop trimmed to 10.5X9 (washout at the blade tips replaced) and MAS S-2 11X8 trimmed to 10.8 X 8. The APC 10X10 works but the disc area is a bit small to get the speed back up quickly after a turn. All of these props will turn around 14,400 with pipe and leaves plenty of room for unloading once airborne. I can't wait to try those props.
If I wanted to go real fast I'd just hang a YS 110s on it but for now I just want to "test the waters" in “bronze class” warbird racing.