RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for something Faster!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for something Faster!

cmircman:

Welcome to the world of reality. We have some real treasures in this forum, a little respect will get you untold knowledge and help in addition to saving you some large bucks and errors in direction. Ok, you have a Viper, a relatively quick little bird that can be seen well. First decide on the size you want to work with, 30 to 90. The 40 sized engines and airframes are the most available , years of R & D into their designs. The Formula 1, 40 basic racer is the fastest and best flyers off the shelf, the Q-500s follow in top speed. You can always build your own as you gain experience, and something you must do in the 90 engine area. Power and rpm's = speed, quality power in the 40's size enines = Nelson, Jett, and Profi and money. Ducted fan engines will also do the job for the more knowledgable, and people willing to deal with the modifications needed for their rear exhausts and carb locations. Nelsons are generally all out racing engines, however can have a carb mounted and will sort of idle and transition. Nelson also makes a top of the lile DF engine under the name of Bob Violet in the 90 sizes, as does OS and a few others not generally worth discussion IMHO. If you want the usually unobtainable, power and user friendly, you go to the Sports Jett engines, but may be shy of that 200mph, but usable in other places than all out speed. My favorite is the Jett 60 LX with black pipe, a large bore engine in sheeps clothing, rpms close to 20K pulling more prop than a 40 can and also fit into your 40 motor mount and about the same weight. It will also idle and transition with the best. Strap this dude on the Viper and you will be close. Stick it in a Formula and you should be there in the 190 to 205 range.

I start mine up on the stand, sit it down and idle out to the strip and take off and land normally. Fly around as you will at 1/2 throttle or less and keep the high speed down, or scare the gang WFO. I have two, one in a streemlined upscaled Q-500, standard wing, fuse longer in front and rear by about 1" and fatter to provide 12 oz of flight time fuel. The other intended for a Rusty Miss Ashlely incomplete for now waiting for my old eyes to be possibly corrected. No doubt in my mind, around 200 for sure. If you think you will want to race at some point with the big boys, stay with the racing 40. No control of the engine to speak of, but what the heck. Frankly, few pilots are ready for 200 mph right away, usually takes some working up and stay high. Things happen quickly at 15-20' off the ground and 200 mph on a race course. Be prepaired to pay around $400.00 for your engine and to $650.00 for th airframe. Do not get cheep with the flight pack, the rpm's are tough on equipment. Take loving care of your engines and they will scream for many years. My original SJ Jett 35 is now on its 7th year and relagated to practice, but it took the gang 5 years to beat it, barely. Yes, you can find good used engines and occasionally airframes. I buy my engines new and build my airframes based on Quickee or Formula wings found, given to or bought. To me, each engine has its own personality, talks to me in terms of what it wants, and deserves loving care. Gang usually laughs when I kiss the 35 or 60 on the head prior to a race, but there are seldom any snide remarks after the race. Yes, most go fast guys have one screw a little loose, its from those high rpm's. ENJOY