RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Dust
Thread: New Dust
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 10:37 AM
C roundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Dust

Originally posted by vetagator
Has anybody any experience with the New Generation Smaller Diamond Dust?
Yep vetagator, I've Been flyin' the "Clipped Wing 'Dust" that Jeff Gilbert custom built for me for a few months now. I have to call it custom built because thats what it is... (he called it an ARF!)
It is ABSOLUTELY superior to any delta that I have flown in 25 years of flying all the diifferent and sometimes bizzare deltas that I've gotten my hands on. When I talked to Jeff initially, he warned me that the "Clipped" would bleed a little more speed than the stocker while pulling g's but I was coming off a deppressing experience with trying to get performance out of a whiplash on a high RPM small prop setup and I knew damned well that if I could just get a brutally strong, straight, and stiff airframe to be as light as Jeff talked about I would have a winner.
Well sure enough Jeff delivered in spades. I took him up on his offer to build my gear into the airplane without any additional charge, and when this Beauty came back to me ready to fly, it weighed 3.25 lbs. with JR 4735's on elevon, JR 341 on throttle, 1100 mah AA sanyo 5 cell, and my trusty Jett F.I.R.E. ducted fan .50
The 4735's were Jeff's pick and I'm damned glad I bowed to his expertise, these servos transform an RC airplane into a thought guided airplane... (such is their precision/torque/speed) I never would have guessed just how much better a huge throw, huge surfaced high speed airplane would track through high G maneuvers if I had not been coaxed into running these servos.
I could go on and on about the way that jeff Laminates the fins out of thin balsa with carbon inlay, sharpens the carbon tube leading edge of the wing with triangle stock, stiffens the whole airframe with multiple spanwise wraps of kevlar cord, supplies and mounts monster elevon horns, etc... But , NAW....
The singularly important thing is how this thing flies!!!
I have flown F3D, QM40, and Q500 airplanes, etc... They all obviously are good at maintaining energy through G maneuvers but to transition on pitch AND roll axis with crisp "Stop the World Suddeness" That is the "Clipped Wing Diamond Dust" experience.