RCU Forums - View Single Post - Submitted for review: The Mongoose
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Submitted for review: The Mongoose

CA:

Sorry, tried to send you come pics over two days, computer or mind is not cooperating. Gonna send you intended text and fllow up asap.

Want to give you benefit of several years in R & D with wing spans and improving the standard Q-500 moments to something more. Weight of the airframe and power natrally modifys things a little, but we are talking about a fast and fun airframe. To me, thats one that will turn left without skidding, still be able to land at the typical Q-500 moderate speed and sport fly to some degree. My first bird dubbed the Yellow Jacket started life with typical Q-500 moments with the nose streemlined, split elevators for a tail wheel, low Viper or Dodger Wing. Original power Jett 35, wing span 48" after repairing a free wing. Overall it was fairly fast, but needed more. Cut wing down to 44", 42", 40" and 38". Until I hit the 38" mark, everything was great, each cut brought a little more speed. The 38" wing skiddind badly in a sharp turn, normal for my naormal racing style, genera overall flying characterists not acceptable, total dry weight 4.64 lbs which includes lots of repair glue. When back to 40" turns solid and sharp, still good landing character. Took the gang over 4 years to beat this little guy over 50% of the races, time to R & D. Still serves as a backup to this date.

YJ II, version I started life with a high wing design much ala Q-500 except Jett 60 LX power, 40" span, 4.15 pounds dry. Scary fast, solid, landed well. A bad switch made it go in WFO. The speed as such was much more than needed, so when I built version II I increased fuse width and depth to accommodate a 13 oz tank. Only wing available at the time was a composit type 52" X 10" cord. Left it 52" for the maden. Can be cut down if needed. Maden flight uneventfull, noted speed still high but currently manageable. New dimensions make the current bird fun to fly. Start on a stand, needle as needed, sit down, idle out and take off like any other sport aircraft. Be back.