RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 issues with gear sequencers??
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 issues with gear sequencers??

As Bob K said, it's a problem with the signal voltage swing on newer receivers. It is an IC technology issue, it is not manufacturer specific.

The servo outputs are pulse trains whose width varies to command different servo positions. Typically the voltage swings from 0V to some higher voltage that historically was close to the battery supply voltage. With newer ICs, this range can be much less .. from 0V "logic 0" to a high that is less than 3V for "logic 1".

If the device plugged into a servo output is expecting something like low being 0V and high being 5V, the designer might have set the threshold at 2.5V .. anything lower is considered a "0" and anything higher a "1". The idea here is that the signal voltage is not the key parameter, it's the pulse width. The actual voltage does not matter so long as it goes over and under the threshold.

With the newer RX's, I suspect that for some non-servo devices, and some older servos, the high output is not getting over the threshold of the servos or other programmable devices. So they see only "0" .. no pulses at all.

The reason the matchbox solution works is that it has a lower threshold to separate "0" from "1" on its input, and it then puts out a signal with a much larger "high" voltage. I suspect that the radio mfgs saw this coming years ago and reset their 0/1 thresholds much lower, and folks who make devices to plug in used older, traditional thresholds .. and as has been stated they will eventually make the adjustments (which fortunately is trivial for them to do).

I have seen the same behavior with the ECU on my Wren SS. I was not able to program it with the Fut 6014 RX, but once programmed in the same setup with an older 72MHz RX, it did respond properly to the throttle stick on the 6014. I must admit that even with a reasonable amount of insight into how the equipment works, this one baffled me .. interesting to see a report of similar behavior with a valve. Must be a reason... but makes you wonder if it would be flaky..

I wrote to Wren to ask their opinion, and they wrote back right away, but I don't think they understood the question .. I resent and clarified and I assume they will think about it (and maybe talk to Gaspar) and get back to me. For now, the idea of a signal buffer inline sounds very sensible!

Dave