RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mechanical Brakes on brushless buggy
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Shark413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mechanical Brakes on brushless buggy

sloppyG, I looked at the Tekno clutch. It is a very interesting idea, and for reducing drivetrain strain (similar to a slipper clutch) it sounds like a good idea. It also probably makes the car feel more nitro like as well, because of the slippage. But for me I like the instant on power that a large brushless motor produces. A perfect example is at the local track there is a big turn followed by a triple jump. With a nito buggy you have to drift wide and then peg it to get enough speed to clear all three jumps, a much longer route. With my brushless buggy I can cut the corner tight and then hit the throttle and it easily clears the triple, which is a much fast line. But like I said, I miss the feel of mechanical brakes and the ability to adjust bias. The motor only brake just feels to vague for my taste and is inconsistant. And one last thing, generally a brushless conversion is heavier than a nitro buggy of the same make, because of the extra weight of the battery. So you need that extra punch that a clutch would take away to make up for the extra mass of a brushless conversion.