RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilot 1/4 Bellanca decathlon
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
lynchr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pilot 1/4 Bellanca decathlon

Here are several pictures of progress. The two taken on the driveway are where I am as of yesterday. I have about 350 hours in at at this point.

Marcus - Nice to see you pop up here. I have read the other Decathlon forums and know you are quite active. Based on what you had to pay for your ARF, I could sell you a set of plans for ... say $400. Just kidding. Next time I am in town (it could be a while) I will see if Kinko’s could scan the plans into a raster file so they could be scaled to whatever size is desired.

For anyone that would like to build this plane from the Pilot plans please consider the following. I am a retired mechanical engineer and will tell you that not every die cut lite ply part could be duplicated. For example, some cross section views of the bulkheads only shows the top, or bottom, of it. There is just not enough information to make a pattern from. There are other parts that would be a problem as well. If I could obtain a NIB kit, I would make patterns for the die cut parts.

If anyone out there has, or gets, a kit and wants to build it, I can give you some tips that will save a lot of grief and surprises. Each part of the plane has some “challenges”.

I just bought a ¼ scale Pilot Tiger Moth kit that has not been molested (my Decathlon kit was) and I am not going to be in too big a hurry to build it. I might take the time to trace all the parts for patterns first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43505.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	896265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74809.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	896266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25248.jpg
Views:	1717
Size:	43.7 KB