RCU Forums - View Single Post - SureWasp049, Cox & AP hybrid
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 PM
air-madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SureWasp049, Cox & AP hybrid

Sure enough, that was me that did the AP .061 carb on the Sure Start. When we move in the next few days - to a week, and get situated in our newly build log home I will post some pics. The engine is at my mother-in-laws home as storage, along with all my other rc toys. My wife and I lived there briefly over the winter and that is where I did the mod.

If you take off the rear upright tube on the Sure Start there is a port that contains the needle valve. Remove the needle valve and its parts entirely. Now attach the AP carb directly to the port via silicone (or rubber tube) that is tight enough to secure around the outside diameter of the carb and port. I used little tiny hose clamps (purchased at the local hobby shop) to ensure that the hose would stay attach to both the carb and the port. Yes, it does work - very well; the AP carb has roughly the same diameter as the port. However, it doesn't have a muffler. My idle is around 2-3k while the top end will max as intended for the Sure Start.