RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.5 Engine= JUNK!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 02:38 AM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Engine= JUNK!!!

Originally posted by Rex2342
My buddies maxx has this very same problem.It will start fine and run fine for about 1/2 a tank and then it starts stalling and it gets hot and doesn't want to start again.The two of us have tried everything to get this thing running right and nothing has worked and it's not just my tuning ability either,even the guys at both of our local hobby shops couldn't do it either.If someone finds a way to tune this thing perfectly please let me know because this has been pissing me off since he got the truck and I feel bad because I recommended it to him.
Your friends piston and sleeve are shot already it seems but I have no idea how old it is since you didn't say. The piston and sleeve fit fine when the engine is cold, but as soon as it gets hot (half tank) the tolerances loosen up and the piston cannot stay tight ot the cylinder wall anymore. Thus causing a leak and the engine dies. Replace the piston and sleeve and break it in right. Then always run it rich to be safe.

If this engine is new and broken in correctly, then there could be a leak in the pressure or fuel line. If the pressure in the tank is not enough because of a leak then when it reaches half a tank and the exhaust cannot pressurize the tnak enough it will choke off. Many times the primer button has a leak around it and causes fuel starvation to the engine.

OR of the pressure is too high (short line and new engine) it will flood the engine with fuel at times and choke it off.

BUT MOST of the time all these engine problems come from poor tuning plain and simple. And that can only be fixed with practice and fine tuning over and over again until it's right and you learn to find the sweet spot for your excat engine. No two engines ever run alike.