RCU Forums - View Single Post - MEK vs MEKP
Thread: MEK vs MEKP
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
balsaeater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MEK vs MEKP

ORIGINAL: 1705493-AndyW

I keep battery acid for doing anodizing work. Nasty stuff but useful if handled properly. In fact, there are a lot of things that are nasty right under your kitchen counter. Take drain cleaner. This can be made of sodium hydroxide. Used in copious quantities to clear clogged drains. I use it to strip old anodizing before retreating. As in anything, you just need to use common sense.

Mekp is a substitute for amyl nitrate, another nasty used as a heart stimulant. Now we know why diesel guys are so energetic.

Now we know why diesel guys are so energetic???

most I know are old timers like me heading downhill fast into sedate scale biplanes and more reputably better which shall remain nameless nirotrogen based stimulants arrived on the market since

Thanks for the info about anodizing and drain cleaner

Also for diesel would nitromethane like 5% be useful as it is for glow and gasoline motors as I recently was given a 4cc 1970 FROG diesel and wish to get it going and haven't sourced amyl nitrate since 1970 when we last used that motor in my cousins nobler

amyl nitrate was easily available in the late 60 from chemist shop for mixing in the home brew diesel engines at 2% but
then for reasons being a high oxidizer stuff and suitable for home brew bombs made by the baddies or some such story it got difficult to get in the local chemists from the late 70s onwards maybe even impossible nowadays and everybody anyway gradually went over to glow as RC gas control demands became dominant over control line fixed gas speeds

There is some links in this forum where guys use ordinary diesel fuel to run the diesel engines and only use some ether to get motors started but I never heard of using MEP or MEPK so I will be looking for those threads

I was wondering and researching the possibly to buy and use (experiment )with these products for oxidizer in home brew Liquid fueled rockets motors but reading this thread I will rethink the hazardous issues like breeding two headed babies ??

I must check out sodium hydroxide sounds interesting can it be useful in rocketry motors ???

Basically I want to make and use small low powered liquid fueled rockets without getting into LOX and without getting exotic stuff that is made from un-obtainum like 50 % or 90% hydrogen peroxide or saltpeter KNO3 (Europe's regulations are very severe )so off the shelf oxides like 99% Nitromethane or similar more easily bought products are what I continue to search for as no point in making a motor where you need a special license to buy the fuel ingredients

Out of curiosity can any benefit be gained from using MEP or MEPK to gasoline or glow motors if you wear suitable protective gear and would there be any shock sensitive fuel issues ratios that need attention like nitromethane to gasoline mixes can at high ratios become shock sensitive[X(] ( I seriously wish to avoid accidentally mixing together any shock sensitive fuels mixes as the neighbors seem to object to loud explosions and blown in windows )

Balsaeater