RCU Forums - View Single Post - first time kit builder.... have a few ?'s
Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM
firestone1121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time kit builder.... have a few ?'s

hey everyone i am about to begin my FIRST kit and am a little confused on how the sheeting process is done. Forgive me for sounding completely illiterate to kit building and i figured id get the help here as i am a little embarassed to ask at our club. When its time to sheet the wings and fuse, how does the balsa become so curvy? do most kits come with sheeting pre bent? or is that for the modeler to do. for example i will be buying the top flite p47 gold edition kit and was looking at the manual pictures. i will be doing the razorback version and in the rear where the tail, vert stab, and fuse all meet it looks VERY tight, crisp, and well- hard to do! what im saying i guess is how do you sheet balsa? how is it "bent" into shape and how is sheeting accurately glued or secured in place? im thinking the sheeting process is going to be the hardest part of the build. Sorry for the stupid questions im not what you would call a woodworker- i can build one hell of a race engine tho! im more of a motor head than craftsman, but with a little help im sure i can tackle this. building ARF's is fun to a point......once you build *ahem* ASSEMBLE 4 or 5 arfs its not as rewarding. im ready for the next step but need all of your expert advice. Everybody here really knows their stuff and i love this place for that reason...... thanks in advance!

Cory