RCU Forums - View Single Post - first time kit builder.... have a few ?'s
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first time kit builder.... have a few ?'s

Cory:
The wetting of the sheeting will help the wood to bend. A cap full of amonia added to the water will allow it to bend more easily [)] .
I have built and flown the Top Flite P 47, also in the razor back version. I have built many, many kits and scratch built scores more. I have alot of experience so I don't recall if it is a beginner's build or not. As I recall, Top Flight kits go together reasonably well so a first time builder should be able to manage.
More importantly, it is one of the better flying scale planes available. While it is well behaved, it is NOT a trainer, nor does it fly like one.
It will go where you point it and stay there until you point it elsewhere. It requires a higher level of skill to fly it.
By a higher level of skill I mean one should be capable of handling a low wing, tail draggin plane. If you add items like a pilot, (who flies without a pilot & cockpit?), scale engine, (looks really cool [8D] ) retracts and the ordinance package your Jug will be a heavier ship. Heavier ships can not be slowed as much and are less forgiving than lighter ones, all else being equal.
My point is that it's OK to build it and detail it to the level you want to but it would be a wise and PRUDENT move to build your skill level to the point where your first flight with the Jug will be a positive experience with no surprises. [X(]
How to prepare? Be able to fly a low wing plane, preferably a tail dragger, and do all required school maneuvers. This means take off, level flight, turns and landing,and your basic "school" maneuvers, loop, roll & spin. You should be able to do this in either a left and right hand pattern and in any wind condition you will encouner and still decide to fly.
In doing this your reactions should be automatic. If you have to think about what to do , you are in a catch up position. That usually proves to be fatal.[sm=angry.gif]
To get to this level you must put in "stick time", the more the better. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
When you can do the above, add some weight to the plane you have been flying. Add it on the planes CG and make sure it does not move around, changing your planes balance point. [X(] Start slow, add 4 ounces at a time. take a few flights and become familiar with the new flight charactistics. When you are, add 4 more ounces, take several more flights . Add 4 more ounces etc. What you will experience is the "feel" of a scale ship. Scale ships generally are heavier because of the detail the builder puts in. Your plane will tend to require more attention in turns. This is a good point to mention use of rudder in making a turn. Full size planes use rudder for turning and ailerons for keeping the wings level during the turns. This method allows you to make flatter turns without losing altitude. It also looks prototipical to do this.
The above is a long answer. I learned it the hard way. (runways are VERY hard [:@] ) There is nothing more disheartning than having your pride and joy stall , snap and roll in to its demise.[sm=disappointed.gif]
Take it a step at a time and it is a very managable thing. While you are building your stick time up, you can build the Jug WITH the detail you want. More importantly, when the ship is ready to flight test, you will be also.
Here's wishing you a 5 mph wind straight down the long runway. Happy landings, Tony. )