RCU Forums - View Single Post - Questions on the Gitchel parachute
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
FlyBy8
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on the Gitchel parachute

Ok guys, I am looking for some guidance here on putting together a jumper/parachute from scratch.

I have downloaded the Gitchel plans from John and Bob's RC Skydiving web page. http://www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1/ Thanks John and Bob. Nice web site.

Couple of questions.

1) These plans make a 49 inch wide chute. What was the origional span for the Gitchel plans?

2) Is the modified Gitchel plans at 49 inches a good match for a 18" Juan built jumper? Santa was kind to me this year and delivered one to my supirse.

3) What is a good source for the line material? I have read where people have used planer board line, catfish fishing line, trotline, etc. What seems to work best for the combination I have outlined above?

4) Is there a better way to connect the lines to the chute? The plan calls for sewing the lines directly to the rib/bottom pannels.

At this point I have:

Drafted out the plans for the rib and bottom panel onto paper. Cut the paper pattern out and transfered it to aluminum and cut the rib template out.

Purchased three yards of rip stop nylon material.

Ordered and waiting on the hot knife to arrive from Tower.

Taken my first sewing class from my dear mother. Don't laugh, I think I can do this. We cut a few ribs, a canopy and bottom panels out of some scrap material and practiced a little last weekend.

Any help and guidenance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul