RCU Forums - View Single Post - wachur spelling
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wachur spelling

You know what, guys? This problem drives me nuts. One that has not been mentioned here that really gets to me is "then" for "than". However, I have been scalded in this very forum for bringing it up in the past and swore to myself that I would not go there (their or they're) again. I've thought about it a lot and have come to the conclusion that only about 5% of the people even notice or care. The predominant attitude is that if the post can be deciphered, no matter how long it takes, it's ok. The dean of the English department at the university I attended told me once that there is no such thing as bad grammar as long as the message gets through. It may be bad use of the language, but the grammar is ok if it is understood. On the other hand, when folks post in an open forum or public sign of some sort using no capital latters, no periods, gross incorrect spelling, etc., it may take me several minutes to decipher the message whereas other folks who write in a similar fashion have no problem with it. So, I suppose then it becomes my shortcoming, not the writers'. I guess I need to learn Spanish also now as well as Chinese in the future, since China seems to be taking over the world.

I bought a tee shirt once in New York City that said "Welcome to America. Now speak English". I really believe in that idea and I think it should be expanded to writing as well. But, as I said earlier, i aint goin their no mor i dun bene scolt fer it your jus gonna have to unnerstan i don't want no argyment over this