RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Planes Bobcat
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:09 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes Bobcat

I've followed the main Bobcat thread, and I've not seen other figures quoted for the C.G.

Everyone is in agreement on where it should be. The only variance arises when people measure the C.G. from the wrong point, or when translating english/metric and back incorrectly.

No matter which engine you install the balance point should be the same.

This plane is meant to fly at a good clip, so it WILL wallow around at slow speed. You need to experience it yourself to see exactly what I am talking about. The plane continues to fly just above stall, but the controls feel mush and unresponsive.

If you are too low this way you can loose the plane.

That means that your landings have to be made faster than what you may be used to with a tractor plane.

In turn this made the plane hard for me to get down, as I was always coming in too fast, and the plane would just roll, and roll, and roll....

The solution was to add the spoileron function.

Spoileron, raises the ailerons in unison slightly ( about 1/8-1/4" ), but still maintains aileron movement.

The raised ailerons/spoilerons, diminish lift, increasing the glide angle, making it easier to bring the plane in at the higher speed required.
The spoilerons also diminish tip stalls to a degree.

Once on the ground the spoilerons add a bit of drag too.

With spoilerons turned on the plane lands with a very convincing nose high attitude which is a joy to see.