RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ready to fly my Spitfire?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Jburry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ready to fly my Spitfire?

Yup, like the others say, it's not that bad. On take-off, remember all the normal tail-dragger traits. Once it begins to roll, release as much elevator as you can without nose-over, and allow the tail to fly. Don't lift until you're absolutely certain you've got flying speed, and do a gentle climb-out. This, of course, until you learn its REAL slow-flight behavior.

I've found a fast wheels landing is best with my Mustang. I'll turn final at about 1/4 throttle, reduce to idle, do a final dive on the runway (about 20-30 degrees down), and then level out at about 1-2 feet, and allow it to slow until the mains touch. If I touch my mains 50yds from the threshold, the tail's still flying 50yds further on, and another 50yds or so to stop'er.

Just learn to enjoy "flying the tail" and then spend some time learning the low speed limitations of the model. Then keep some margin of safety available.

My mustang was my second plane, first low wing, first aileron ship, and it tops out at 100mph. It knocks knees alot, but it's really a nice ship.

Fly the tail.

J