RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 esc with 1/18 motors?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 08:46 PM
pinoyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 esc with 1/18 motors?

ORIGINAL: doskie

from the responses it looks like people have tried this setup. But now the interesting thing is why do people choose 1/18 esc's over the 1/10? why compromise so many features? The only reason i can come up with is that the 1/10 esc can't fit in their mini's. I'm sure a little modding can fix this...?

Does anyone have any pictures of their 1/10 esc with 1/18 motor setup?
Yea, I guess it was size at first, as well as price. I think most 1/10 and bigger competition ESCs use to be over $150.

Thats all changed now. You can pick up a 1/10 sidewinder for $70 shipped, thats cheaper than the MMP. I just looked on tower, and the MMP and 1/10 sidewinder are the same price! Its kind of on the big side, but you can still fit it in most 1/18 cars. If you can get a smaller rx, a 1/10 esc should be able to fit with the extra space the smaller rx provides.

So like you said, theres not really any reason not to pick up the bigger scale ESCs now. Tthere seems to be a lot of bigger scale escs that are meant for people who want to go brushless for cheap, but aren't in competitive racing, so they don't need the high dollar setups.

I think once sales start slowing down and more people start realizing this, Castle will be forced to reduce the price of the MMP to the price of what the 1/18 sidewinder is currently selling. That will then force other 1/18 escs to come down in price to stay competitive. It actually almost looks like that right now as 1/18 sidewinders are hard to find.

Anyways, in a couple years, their won't be a need for 1/18 escs as 1/10 and 1/8 ESCs will probably be the only thing manufacturer's need to sell.