RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

In deference to dirty dingus, I must say that the measurement from my wing LE to center of first gear mounting hole is 2 and 3/8"

This is because rather than shifting the gear forward a full 20mm, my measurements indicated approx. 15mm was the scale location. This is, of course, splitting hairs, and I would defer to Mr. dingus as he one of the few who has repeatedly flown this thing and lived to tell about it...

As far as elevator and aileron horn mounting, I have cut large slots in the elevators and used cut fiberglass and 3 hr. epoxy mixture to glue and fill. I purposely made the openings larger than the horns to allow adhesive to surround the anchoring point. I also roughed up the phenolic horns with 60 grit sandpaper to provide some "tooth" and cleaned them with lacquer thinner before gluing.
I used this same method on my 102" CARF E260 and it has performed flawlessly for a year of aggressive flying.

I have yet to install the aileron servos so cannot speak to that.

Indeed, the Gee Bee "manual" is more of an outline than thorough instructions. I helps very much to have lots of (large) building experience and CompARF experience beforehand. It seems they could update the instructions w/o too much pain...[>:]

I will post pix of my cowl mounts ASAP