RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

The 'bag of wood' that comes with the retracts is obviously intended to strengthen the bond of the leading retract rail to the wing. It appears to me that Top Flite probably encounted a seperation of this front retract rail from the wing, and this fix is intended to lessen the possibility of that happening to the consumer. The parts weigh about 11 grams, so combined with epoxy will probably add about 1/2 oz total to the aircraft.

To install these parts, I found it necessary to remove (with a Dremel) a little bit of the the fiberglass wheel wells, which were protruding slightly into the retract bays. This is not mentioned in the manual.

The first thing I want to take on is the retracts. I want to use the stock mechanical retracts, but also intend to install 380 series offset RoboStruts on them, with some better looking, yet light 3 1/2" wheels (or maybe slightly smaller).

Problems I see right off is that the spring loop in the struts will prevent me from installing the RoboStruts UNLESS I move the loops farther up (about 5/8"?), closer to the retract unit. The loops in such a location do not have any clearance in the wells, and will not allow them to retract.

I guess I will have to assemble the retract bay re-inforcment parts and go from there.

Rather than begin another post when I make progress on this subject, I'll simply update this one, so check back in a day or so for revisions and pics.