RCU Forums - View Single Post - I don't like it. I think I'll retire it. *WAM*
Old 03-11-2002, 11:22 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't like it. I think I'll retire it. *WAM*

I had a Global Sukhoi. Very pretty, but really too heavy to be an excellent flyer.

It also had some balance issues. During one of its recent outings the bloody thing tried to kill me! (story posted right here in the Hangar Hangout forum. Read it - or you won't know what the Gap is. )

I brought it out this weekend, determined to sort it out . I rechecked the balance and control throws, did another range test and checked the structure. All OK.

Fueled up, fired up and away we go. Similar problems as before - it still seems to be nose heavy and has a disappointing roll rate. No 3D with this one - just big smooth pattern-type maneuvers. Won't spin. Drops the left wing in uplines. Snaprolls are nice, though.

A few minutes into the flight and I'm kvetching away. "This thing has never flown right. I'm not real happy with it - maybe I should pull the gear out and build something else. I wouldn't want to sell it to anyone 'cause it flies like *expletive-starting-with-"ess"-deleted*"

Ah well. If pattern-type maneuvers are what this thing is good for, so be it. Can't disappoint the spectators - we had a couple of visitors.

(rolls and loops) (high speed passes) (sloppy pseudo-3D maneuvers)

I was setting up a low (and slow) pass through the Gap. I went way downwind, rolled inverted, lined up with the Gap and started slowing her down.

(The engine dies. I can't hear it over the 10-knot wind)
(the YS .53 is very quiet at low throttle!)

Slower, slower. Wups! Too slow... add a little throttle. OK, a little more throttle. Hey! The prop isn't moving.

"Deadstick!"

I flipped it over and tried to make it back to the field. As I had bled off most of my airspeed while inverted, I knew it wasn't going to be easy... I was too low and far out to dive. Plus I had to attempt to avoid the Tree in the Gap...

I held the wings level and slightly nose-low. I couldn't climb over the tree, but perhaps I could steer around it! Rudder only, don't want to tipstall it.

FAP! thud! thud!

I clipped a branch of the Tree In The Gap with my left wing. The firewall (with engine and cowl still attached) flew off and the rest of the plane spun to the ground flat.

Feh.

All the gear survived 100% intact. Even the throttle servo! This is one time I was glad that I used the brittle wire the ARF manufacturer supplied - the throttle wire snapped off clean when the firewall went its own way.

Our resident web-guy was there that day, but forgot his camera at home! You are all spared a photo of yr. fthfl. authr. holding a cowl/engine/firewall/fueltank module in one hand, a fuselage & wing (still attached - and all the servos still wiggle) in the other.

The plane is repairable, but I've decided to retire it. The replacement is on order - a Morris Top Cap. Seems like I remember reading somewhere thats supposed to be a pretty good 3D airframe. )