RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dynaflite 81" Spitfire
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 AM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

My one in foreground here was bashed from the Dynaflite plan. About the only things i retained were the original basic outline and the wing ribs.

Main changes were to round off the fuselage and add the wingroot fairings. The wing was completely rehashed to accept retracts that work around the right way - not inwards like a P-51! The cowling was formed with four layers of nylon stocking over a foam plug and then glassed - very easy and very light.

I was stuck for a canopy too and borrowed an old Platt one. Filled it with plaster of paris to make a plug and then produced several of them. Gave the spares away to other builders and unfortunately didn`t retain the plug....

My model is getting on for five years old now but still flies great. Had three flights with it just this past Sunday. Power is an old OS 1.08 and auw from memory was just on 13 lbs.

Busy with iother things right now, but am getting mentally prepared to scratch build a Hurricane around similar size - IMAA legal and fit into my Mazda 6 wagon!

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65881.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	957873