RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair
Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 PM
RCPtero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

Thanks for the kind words all! I agree, the grass field definitely contributed! I think my problem is that I was being moderate with the throttle and held full up elevator until she hit flight speed. The throttle was due to what I've read online about not just jamming it forward and going. What I think I need to do is use moderate throttle and run her up to the point where the tail lifts off, give it just a touch of up elevator and then max the throttle out. This being my first warbird, I actually kind of expected things like this as part of the learning curve. I know now a couple of things NOT to do on takeoff!!

I have faithfully reproduced the accident in my flight sim. I've not been able to find a grass field which doesn't roll like asphalt, but I can simulate that by using a low throttle. If I do that with full up elevator, she stalls right after takeoff and rolls to the left, drops like a rock and snaps of the left wing. Daja vu!!

On the good side. The wing is now back together. I did the initial sanding tonight and have used glazing putty to smooth over all the joints. Tomorrow night I should be able to sand her smooth and she'll be ready for fiberglass over the repaired area. I really am impressed with how well she came through that crash. I'm convinced that if she had be monokoted and gone through that crash, that I'd be building a whole new wing.

Gibbs,

Still love all the details on yours.

Tom