RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brushless motor not running - just beeping
Old 06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Arebeck
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless motor not running - just beeping

If you have a problem with a electric motor that will not arm itself and beeps continuously this story might help.

I have recently decided that I wanted to try my hand at a larger electric plane. A friend of mine had framed up a 4*40 for me so I figured this was a good plane to take the plunge with. I purchased a Rimfire outrunner 42-50-800, 60 amp ESC and a 5 cell 2100 mAh battery. I got everyting into the plane, charged the battery and was ready to go. I took the plane (with no prop) out on the deck to make sure everything worked. I connected the battery, inserted the arming plug and the motor just started beeping. I worked the throttle like the directions for the ESC said and it kept on beeping. I checked all the connections and tried it again. It kept on beeping. I searched this site and didn't find anything relevant. I called the Great Planes help line and the tech said it sounded like a bad ESC and to send it back since it was still under warranty.

Luckily I lost the receipt so I had to go to my hobby shop to get a copy. While I was there I told them of my problem and they said that continuous beeping is typically a sign of the ESC not getting a signal. When I got home I checked the receiver with a servo and it was putting out a signal on channel three.

Then all of a sudden - BAM - I figured it all out. I have a Futaba 9C and I placed the new electric 4*40 in the memory where I had a glow 4*40 (victim of a midair while trying to fly in a formation with another 4*40). I checked the end points for the throttle and saw that they were at 40% low throttle and 80% high throttle, I dialed both of these to 100%, hooked up the battery and tried the motor again. It worked.

A couple of things bothered me about this. One my own stupidity for not checking the motor endpoints. The other one are that the directions for the ESC do not mention anything about continuous beeping and finaly that the technicianat Great Planes did not recognize the symptoms that I described.

Regardless, everything worked out OK and i have a great flying plane.

Ron

brushless, beeping, Rimfire