RCU Forums - View Single Post - Viper flying tips & sucessful first flight!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM
YUKONFLYR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Viper flying tips & sucessful first flight!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Sorry bout not posting prior, but had to make a trip to Vancouver to pick up a Japanese import, then a very fast trip back to Whitehorse for work today[:'(]

I used a Master Airscrew 9x6 for the test flights. Was quick and I was having problems with the Bubbless tank. Nothing wrong with tank, just me trying to figure out how to fill it properly so that there was no bubbles causing lean conditions. The last flight I got it right and had a very rich run with no bubbles at all. Time to lean it out!

Yellowsierra02 - Viper is a great plane and quick - How fast exactly I don't know but it is controlable and fun. When I get it leaned out with an APC 9x6 it will probably be the fastest at my field save Blade47's propjets with retracts! My faviorate part is when you make that first turn and the plane winds up.......................the sound is priceless!

I was a little psyched out for the first flight, thought it would be squirrly and all over the place, been reading other posts about dead vipers on the maiden flight. I put the CG at 2 3/4" Using Dub's tehnique of two flat blade screwdrivers while laying under the plane supported by two chairs. That method works great. First flight I kept expecting it to do weird things, however it flew like it was on rails the entire flight including landing which was uneventfull, Turns were uneventfull and very smooth.. I have seen other quickees land squirrly and on thier nose ect, this plane is just fast and fun. I origionally had several step up engines, but since the plane flies so nice I think I will go from the GS40 to my 14 year old retired Nelson SS. It has almost no hot compression left but will still turn a pylon prop at about 18,500. After that I have a much fresher Nelson which will step it up to the final level of frighting small children ect and waking up the neighbours.

Fxrs_tim - I only colored the top, If I see white I know i am in trouble. The neon colors really stand out but are a pain to apply over the origional covering. I must have lost my covering ablility as I did get wrinkles at the wingtips that I am not pleased about.

On the Supertigre with the Jettstream - Comments from the field, "is that a Rossi"[X(], "Oh that engine has some pull"..........That Jettstream muffler really makes the GS40 an animal