RCU Forums - View Single Post - Using AMA 422 planes for sport ??
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Using AMA 422 planes for sport ??

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

I bought a Q40 plane this year RTF with a Nelson SS. I added an OS heli carb to the motor and it works fairly well. One warning is that these planes take a long time to slow down and they will tipstall if you get them too slow. I've already had two crashes from coming in too hot, and then either trying to turn or feeding in too much elevator and stalling the wing. Luckily both were at 20' or less and into tall grass. The plane is a little worse for wear, but it's still flyable. I'd recommend a Q500 first if you haven't flown a racer before.
On final decent, landing setup and the turn to landing approach..... use have to use the rudder to keep the nose down in the turns.

The planes will slow down fairly well, but you have to be in level flight .... and expect that the ailerons will get very soft. Keep the nose down just slightly until you are level and on final. Once the nose comes up they will slow down fairly rapidly. Its a feel thing... if it gets mushy, push the nose down a bit right away or it will just stop flying.

Once on the ground be sure to release any up elevator you are holding.

Takes a little practice. But you can put it right on the mark every time.
http://www.lcrc.org/Tony/Videos/2006...ng%20plane.wmv

The Stilleto was one of the best QM40 planes I ever flew. No bad habits at all.