RCU Forums - View Single Post - Atlanta...
Thread: Atlanta...
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Atlanta...

dhal22, Nathan King, rainedave, Aurora_60, Roguedog:

Thanks Guys for your Kind Words!!

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

So, I understand you plan to use this to make another set of "real" molds? You don't want to use the one you used for this?
I could use my transfer to make fuselages...I originally set out to make the transfers as a light and flexible laminate which would help me reduce stress on my Atlanta fuselage...Then I'd just toss them when I was done...As it turned out when I added the back-up structure it really stiffened up so now it's very rigid...It really worked out well and I think most folks would be satisfied using it as their actual mold...In reality it's good enough... (I havn't tossed em' yet)

Since I'm not only making tools for me but an additional set for someone else I wanted them to be extra super nice....I didn't want all the unnecessary mold lines...I also wanted to fix a few minor fit and finish type issues that exist on my original Atlanta...So that is the reason I'm going through the extra work to make another set of molds...

I hope it all works out...We'll see...

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

Have you ever thought of a clear canopy for an Atlanta? Or do you think that would look too out of place?
That could be done...Not something I personally would be interested in...But if a fellow wanted to alter his fuselage he could easily cut the canopy section and build a cockpit floor out of wood or glass...Then take the section they removed..stiffen it up to make a vacuum form plug and make himself a clear canopy...

I would have to modify the molds in order to produce a fuselage that was made for a clear canopy...I havn't considered doing that for the Atlanta...However I have planned to do exactly that on a future project (Aurora)...I was planning to make a canopy plug for the mold so you could have your choice of a fuselage with either a molded canopy or the traditional clear canopy...I've been running through that process in my mind but I'm not 100% sure weather I'll do it or not...

Once again..Thanks to all you for your kind comments!!

Chuck