RCU Forums - View Single Post - Zenoah G62 with a 24 " prop???
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G62 with a 24 " prop???

I have a question for you guys with the G-62.

Mine is on a Giant Aeromaster bipe, which weighs 21.5 lbs. all up, dry. I've tried a NX 22-10 prop and also a Zinger 20-14 which I had sitting on my shelf. In each case, the engine tachs at about 5800 rpm at full throtttle (about 1 1/2 gallons through it from new).

The plane can barely get into the air. Once airborne, it's not lively or snappy at all. It has all the responsiveness of a bloated, beached whale. It flys very heavy. Max throttle with about a 200 foot take of run are the minimum to get it airborne.

Based on my experience, I can't believe that a G62 can run a 22 inch prop or that it can fly a 30+ pound plane like many people claim. There is no way this G62 will turn over 6,000 rpm on a 24-8 prop. It can't even hit 6,000 on a 22 inch prop. The plane cannot even do a loop at max throttle from level flight. You need a very fast dive first.

So here's the question. Given your experience, what's making this combination fly like a pig? Any suggested solutions to get some performance from this engine/plane combination?

Presently, in my opinion, the problems are that the G62 is a wimpy, gutless, overhyped engine and the plane is excessively heavy - by about 4 pounds. Am I wrong on this?

I weighed the engine, along with mount, prop and muffler. It checks in at a bloated 6.5 lbs.!!!