RCU Forums - View Single Post - Radio reps- get moving
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 02:24 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radio reps- get moving

Originally posted by Papa Tango
I seems to me that when you talk about "undesirables" in the hobby, what you are really afraid of is that the "rogue" fliers out on the schoolyard will pollute the usable frequencies so that it's no longer safe to fly without getting a hit.

The obvious solution to this problem is to make it impossible to get a hit. That can be easily done if Tx and Rx are able to expand on PCM technology by sending "headers" with each transmission that uniquely identifies the code sent as belonging to your TX and not someone else's. If your Rx can disregard bogus input then the problem is solved.

Any thoughts on this guys?
Yea, spread spectrum would be much easier to implement, would virtually eliminate "hits", would still allow you to operate with the current "fixed" channel sets without them interferring with you, or you with them and would not increase "bandwidth" usage on the link appreciably. Much better than trying to come up with some sort of "IP" solution that would be implemented in a proprietary manner by all the different manufacturers so we'd be back to only using X brand Rx's with X brand Tx's.

As to the ability to get into the code, bad idea and I'd protest vigoursly any move to do so. Of the 10 people I know well who use programmable radios, 6 have not bothered to read the manual past getting the ability to do basic stuff, 2 have read the manual, but don't understand it and 2 really know how to use the radio. That's 80% who are dangerous with the "programmability" of the radio. I REALLY don't want these guys having the ability to get into the code and really screw things up!