RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Models EP Extra 300
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
patnchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Models EP Extra 300

Hello Sea Gull Extra 300 lovers,
I bought and built this model a year ago and after maiden, I decided I didn't like the way it flew and moved on to an E-Flight Mini Funtana X......Since that time, it has been sitting in the hanger, collecting dust. I decided that I need to fly it or dispose of it. My flying skills have improved some, since then and I now can fly it without having panic attacks. After a half dozen flights I determined what it was I didn't like about it. I don't know how to explain it, so I'll just tell it like I see it.....
On take off it just wants to climb. It will continue to climb until you feed in down elevator. No amount of trimming will make this plane fly straight and level. I just keep see sawing the elevator. I'm very used to this type of plane as I have the Fliton AJ Extra, the Hyperion Yak 40e, The E-Flight Mini Funtana, and the E-Flight Extra 260. None of them have this issue. I've checked the sero's and they all center perfectly. The wings are straight and true as is the rear stab. The plane is balanced per spec. I've moved the cg forward and aft, but it doesn't change anything. Also, it doesn't fly inverted for crap. In order to keep it up I need to feed in an excessive amount of down elevator, and just about the time you get it flying straight it tries to pull into an inverted inside loop. I'm thinking it may have thrust angle issues, but I've never built a plane that acts like this. Aileron rolls are axial both clockwise and counterclockwise. I've even dialed in 50% expo and that just it fly like a dolpin in larger arcs. It does smooth out a little when I really pour the power to it, but any type of high alpha moves wind up in a loop if I'm power up, or a stall at reduced throttle.
Some guys say it needs down thrust on the motor, but others say it has too much down thrust and it causes the plane to pull up.....

I'm flying it on the lower KV Park 480 with Thunder Power 3S 2100 Pro Lites. If I don't figure it out, I think this plane will be finding itself a new home, where some one else can figure it out.......Pat