View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Quick Cheap Speed Build

ORIGINAL: YogoBlue

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Not new to rc but I want somethin that just flat out cooks. No record speeds, cheap, easy arf style.. Recommendations I dont feel like building a patriot.
Maybe something done around a 55AX? I dont know I usually fly large scale stuff so all is game I guess.

Combos? Ideas, Hypothetical Bench Racing? Name Your Game!

Thanks
The standard non-propjet recommendation is a Quickie 500 ARF such as the Viper or Predator, strengthened/toughened as recommended here and on the quickie forum. To that fit the hottest .40-.46 size engine you choose to.. examples are TT .46 Pro with aftermarket muffer at the moderate cost end (goes pretty quick from what people have said here), or any "small block" (.40-.46 case size) engine you want that runs to your satisfaction - should be good for anything from 120 mph up. Or go fancy and fit a Jett .50 with racing muffler, or find a West .50v1/pipe combo from a broken Magnum, or whatever. Figger on 150 or a bit more.

Dunno if anyone has fitted a 55AX to such an aircraft but I am of the impression it is not a high rpm engine and might need a good prop load to do anything useful speedwise, ie. 9-8, 9-9..? Guys..?

You looking for a "prop jet" or just something quick and easy that does the trick? The one thing I'll suggest is to remember that just because something looks like a jet, does not mean it is fast. Look at the frontal area, wing thickness, etc.

The Matney Zoomer is an example of a model with similar speed potential and a bit more styling than a Quickie.

MJD