RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mission Impossible? Putting a pattern plane on a diet?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mission Impossible? Putting a pattern plane on a diet?

Thinn

This airplane was built by me with ZERO attention to weight. When I built the airplane it weighed 10 pounds 8-10 ounces, as best I could measure it anyway. Through the last year I've made additions and changes to the airplane and some minor repairs which led to the over weight condition. I used what I had on hand during the build, If you look at the materials I used everything is wrong. The battery is about 3 oz heavier than really needed (2200 5 cell Nicad). Somewhere along the line I changed the battery and picked up the wrong one. The lead I added during the trimming process was just to test. Those two items are nearly 1/2 a pound!

This airplane will be around 10-10, when I've gotten the diet completed, with currently used materials in the pattern world. The reason it's over weight at this point is all mine and not the air frame. I got it under max weight easily by changing a few items. If I wanted to take it to the extreme (Like the electric guys do) I could probably reduce the airframe another 1/2 pound. I doubt I'll bother going to that extreme. My target weight right now is 10-10 to 10-12.

Beyond that I don't really care.

This is an exercise in weight reduction. I've never paid attention to weight before, I just built and flew them.

I started with the big items and am working towards the small items. Why look for a few grams when you have full ounces you can just reach in and take out.

As far as cables and bell cranks for elevators I'll never use those again, I'll never use twin servo's in the tail again either.